Choose your news

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Harrisonville Residents Advised to Obtain Permits for Flood Recovery

As property owners in Harrisonville contemplate clean up and repairs following recent flooding, Chris Arthur of the City’s Building Division office is reminding residents to obtain local permits before repairing or rebuilding flood-damaged structures.The permits are required as part of local government participation in the National Flood Insurance Program, providing eligibility for flood insurance, flood disaster assistance, state and federal grants and loans, and buyout funds for flood-prone property.

Arthur explains that local floodplain management ordinances require that permits be obtained for any construction or development activity in a floodplain area, including the repair or reconstruction of structures damaged by flooding.

Arthur adds that special conditions apply to substantially damaged buildings - those in which the total cost of repairs is 50 percent or more of the structure's pre-flood market value. If a building is found to be substantially damaged, regulations require that repairs not begin until compliance with the local floodplain ordinance is demonstrated.  In some cases, that may require repairs that include elevating or flood-proofing the structure to reduce the potential for future flood damage.

The cost to repair must be calculated for full repair to "pre-damaged'' condition, even if the owner elects to do less. The total cost to repair includes structural and finish materials as well as labor. If labor and materials have been donated they must still be assigned a value. If local building codes require the structure to be repaired according to certain standards, these additional costs must be included in the full repair cost for the structure.

Arthur advises that state and federal assistance may be available to property owners to reduce the chances of future flood damage. Mitigation assistance may cover costs of relocation, or for elevating or purchasing flood-damaged structures. Flood insurance may also provide up to $30,000 to protect a structure from future flood damage.

Property owners and residents with flood-damaged buildings should contact Chris Arthur at (816) 380-8912 for more information on repair and reconstruction permits.

Pageviews last month