Bates County Memorial Hospital along with University of Missouri Extension will offer a series of Chronic Disease Self-Management classes Fridays 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., October 28 thru December 9 (no class November 25) at Bates County Memorial Hospital, 615 W. Nursery. Classes are free but you need to register by calling University of Missouri Extension at 679-4167. This will allow us to have the correct number of materials available.
Chronic disease is a long-lasting condition that can be controlled but not cured. The Chronic Disease Self
Management classes will help you:
· Improve your knowledge of living a healthy life with a chronic condition
· Develop and maintain a long-term exercise program
· Manage fatigue and stress better
· Find solutions to problems caused by your condition
· Identify ways to deal with anger, fear, frustration and depression
· Discuss the role of nutrition in chronic disease management
· Explore ways to communicate with family and friends.
· Develop decision-making and problem-solving skills
People who have taken this class have reported an increase in the amount of time they exercise, improved communication with their physician and have more confidence in their ability to manage their conditions. People have also reported less fatigue and less disability after taking this series of classes.
You may have a chronic disease but don’t let the chronic disease control you. Come learn how to manage your disease so you can live your life to the fullest.
-our thanks to Brenda Doody, University of Missouri Extension, Butler Mo.