Saturday, May 27, 2017

From the Desk of Bates County Coroner Greg Mullinax

I've had another round of phone calls about items stolen from graves in several cemeteries this time. People always want to know what can be done. 

******Please note this is my opinion, I'm not speaking as Coroner or anything official - this is just my personal thoughts.

I think a police report should be made IF you really believe the item(s) were stolen, not just blown away in the wind or hit with a mower, etc. Please keep in mind accidents do happen and just because something is missing doesn't necessarily mean it was deliberately stolen. But if you think it was and especially if it's happened before, write down a description of the item(s), approximate value, and date you discovered it missing. Photos are ideal if possible. While the $$$ value is probably really low, you might be helping to identify a pattern of theft if there is one and find those responsible so they can be prosecuted. Some people hate to bother the police with "small" matters like this, and I do understand that - but I have many law enforcement friends and they are almost always happy to take a report and do anything that can be done. It helps if you have your ducks in a row, however.

Especially this weekend, many people visit cemeteries and have a hard enough time as it is. They shouldn't have to face additional hurt or loss. If you have items you'd like to report, feel free to message me and I can tell you which law enforcement agency has jurisdiction based on the location of the cemetery and how best to contact them.

From the Desk of Bates County Coroner Greg Mullinax





Search news