Monday, November 7, 2011

Local artist gains attention of the U.S. Postal Service


Rebekah Nastav

Some are gifted with the knack and Rebekah Nastav of rural Amoret certainly has that gift- to the extent that her artwork is now being featured on U.S. stamps, namely the Junior Duck Stamp (a redhead duck, shown below).

It's no easy task to get the attention of those who judge the artwork- but her perseverance has certainly paid off. An equally striking painting of a Blue Winged Teal won 6th place for Nastav as her creations were considered for the U.S Fish & Wildlife conservation stamps program.

In her own words, Rebekah reveals more about her humble journey:

Nastav's 6th place entry, a Blue
Winged Teal
I have been painting and drawing since I was a toddler. My interest has always been in animals. I started taking my art seriously and competitively at the age of 13, when I won a first place ribbon for my age category in the 2004 Missouri Federal Junior Duck Stamp Contest, and again a first place ribbon in 2005. You may recall that when I was 15, I entered the same contest again for the third time. My entry, titled "Morning Swim," featuring a single Redhead drake swimming in the morning light, won Best Of Show for the state of Missouri. My entry then went on to compete with the other 49 states, and was finally selected as the first place winner of the national 2006 Federal Junior Duck Stamp Contest. I entered the following two years and won third place both times. In 2009 after I graduated high school (which, by the way, I was homeschooled), I was old enough to enter the Federal Duck Stamp Contest. Since the competition is much higher in quality as well as quantity, my entry (a single wood duck drake) did not get through the first round of judging. The following year was the same with my entry featuring a northern shoveler.

This year (2011), my third year entering the FDS contest, my entry - #187, a single Blue-winged Teal drake swimming from right to left with a tan background and a few reeds - passed the first round of judging with three "in" votes out of five possible. In the second round, my entry scored an 18 out of 25 possible putting me in the third and final round, which includes the remaining entries with the top five scores. There were seven entries left in the third round. My entry scored a 16, placing it in 6th. The first place entry by Joe Hautman (who has won the contest a total of 4 times) scored a 24. There was a total of 190 entries this year. I travelled out to the contest this year at the National Conservation Training Center in Shepherdstown, WV on Oct. 28-29th to watch my entry and some of my friends' entries be judged. It's very exciting to see my artwork up on the big screen, being judged by very important athorities in conservation and art as well as competing against big-name artists such as the Hautman brothers, Scot Storm, Adam Grimm, and so many other artists whos prints are hanging on the walls of avid waterfowl hunters' homes. I am so happy to have placed 6th in the most prestegious art contest in the country. I will enter this contest every year until I win, and will still continue to enter after that, as well as travel to the contest every year that I can since it is held at a different (and usually beautiful) location each year.

I have some advice for other artists:
1. Enter contests. Even if you know the competition is high, enter anyway. Get your name out there. You won't win every contest you enter (unless you have superpowers), but the more you enter, the more chances you have. It took me three years, both in the Federal and Junior duck stamp contest, to have any large success. For some it will take longer; It took Robert Bealle nine times that long before he won the 2010 FDS contest.
2. Get to know other artists. Learn from their style, talk to them, develop a relationship with them. Art shows are a great way to find artists and talk to them about their work. The internet and social sites such as Facebook is another way of connecting with other artists. If you know of an artist whos work you really admire, study it and get to know the artist. Not just artists but any connections you can make as possible. I got a month-long internship with the U.S. Fish And Wildlife Service in the Duck Stamp office in 2008 because I got to know Laurie Shaffer, the manager of stamp development and marketing after winning the FJDS contest. I simply asked her if I could intern with them and next thing I knew I was on a plane to Arlington, VA.
3. Sell your work. I know how hard it is to part with your own work sometimes, but selling is the best way to spread your name and get people interested in you. If someone requests a custom piece or a particular job, TAKE IT. Do not hesitate. I once missed out on a huge opportunity when someone asked me to paint a large picture of his house for him, but I procrastinated until he found someone else to do the job. I still kick myself for that.
4. For younger artists, I encourage you to enter the Federal Junior Duck Stamp contest. Aside from the ribbons, cash prize and trip to Washington D.C., I have learned more about ducks and conservation than I ever hoped to - which is the purpose of the program. So even if you don't win for a while, you'll know all about the different waterfowl species, habitats, and anatomy, which is VERY interesting to me and has inspired me to pursue a degree in wildlife conservation. Information on the FJDS program can be found at:http://www.fws.gov/juniorduck/ArtContest.htm#GeneralInformation
4. No matter how talented you are, stay humble. Your talent is a gift to you to give to others.

If you are interested to see more of my work, I have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rebekah-Nastav-Wildlife-Art/139005199471571
I am currently building my own website at the moment, and will post the link on my facebook page when it is finished.


The official Junior Duck Stamp featuring artwork by Rebekah Nastav of rural Amoret, Mo.






Search news