Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Update: Adrian man killed in Bates County plane crash

On August 23, 2021 shortly after 11am I was advised by Sheriff Anderson deputies were searching for a downed aircraft. Shortly afterward I was advised the craft had been located and a decedent was located and I responded to a location northwest of Adrian.
 
At this time I have spoken with family members and made certain they’ve been allowed enough time to speak to family and close friends. I appreciate everyone’s respectful cooperation during that time.

The decedent was the pilot and sole occupant of the aircraft, and is identified as Daniel L. Smith of Adrian, Missouri.
 
An autopsy has been scheduled in cooperation with the multiple agencies investigating. I will not have further details until the investigation is complete.
 
Greg Mullinax
Bates County Coroner



Search news