Thursday, March 30, 2023

From Michael G's Greenhouses

We will open for the spring season this Saturday morning at 8 am. We have been busy the last few months growing things for this year. The vast majority of it is done in March though, it is amazing how much stuff is planted so fast every year. I have the best employees in the world. They aren't just my employees, they are part of my chosen family. It is pretty early and it has been unseasonably cold in March.

We did move things outside into the basically unheated greenhouse yesterday to toughen them up for you. I accidentally left a bit out a few days ago, and in spite of having a heavy frost on them they came through ok. We have a ton of elephant ears this year, I found a source for patented varieties, even black ones. There is still a lot to do, tomatoes, peppers, and things like that keep about as well as yellow bananas, they have to be planted at the right time.

This is the 39th year in business on the farm. I often think back to our early years, taking plants to flea markets, selling to plant stands , we did Lawn and Garden shows at Bartle a few years even. Now everything is sold right on the farm, instead of me loading into a trailer or bus like we used for years, you all come out and load it into your vehichles for me. We heated entirely with wood for 10 years, produced every cutting and plant we sold from things we kept back from the prior year. The good old days were a lot of work.

I have seen cars parked out to the road at times now so many people come out at times. You who come out are a blessing, my employees (who are in reality chosen family) are a blessing, every where I look I see how God has blessed me. Life gets a little harder physically as you get old, but even that has a good side... you don't remember grievances near so long!

So, come out and see what we have been working on, especially in the last month. Way over 50% of what we do has been done in March. It is too early for most things, but you are certainly welcome to come look around. We will be open on Easter but with abbreviated hours, one to four. That is April 9th. We will be open this Sunday from 10 to 4.

View Michael G's Facebook page below:

Search news