Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Bates County Sheriff Chad Anderson seeks re-election

Today I am announcing that I will be running for a 5th term for the Office of Sheriff. Official sign ups are on Tuesday February 27th. I love this County and the men and women who serve with me as a team at the Sheriff’s Office. I have been in law enforcement for 27 years, starting my career out as a volunteer police officer for the City of Adrian in 1997. In 1999, I received my police officer license from the University of Central Missouri. 

In 2000, I went to work for Butler, where I was promoted to Sergeant. My duties there were to supervise patrol officers, conduct sex crime investigations, and I taught DARE in the Butler Schools. My entire law enforcement career has been serving the citizens of Bates County. More than half my life has been dedicated to serving this community.

When I took office in 2009, the office was struggling financially to the point monies were transferred from other funds to cover the operations of the Sheriffs Office. This directly affected the quality of services the citizens of Bates County were provided. This affected the quality of safety equipment the deputies were provided, the ability to respond to calls, created unsafe staffing levels and poor pay for employees. 

Over the last 16 years, despite various obstacles, the Sheriff’s Office has become financially independent and has always operated within its budget, even contributing to a substantial financial reserve. This has allowed the General County Budget for other offices to increase its reserves, as law enforcement has not needed any transfers from the General Revenue Fund to cover operating expenses as it had in the past.

I immediately made it a priority to put the citizens first and to serve them to the best of our abilities. My priority was to put more deputies on the streets to improve response times and reduce crimes. I have improved services to the citizens by recruiting, retaining and providing top of the line training and equipment for the hard working men and women of the Sheriff’s Office. Under my leadership, we have increased programs that serve the community to include; Deputies who are assigned to the rural schools with a K9, a dedicated narcotics Deputy and two K-9 patrol units, security for employees and the public while doing business at the courthouse, a great search and rescue program that has already been instrumental in saving a life, creation of the Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team for high risk events, top of the line equipment and the training to be prepared for any emergency situation that should arise that puts our citizens at substantial risk. We have a built a great community policing program that has built strong, lasting relationships within the communities we serve, emphasizing working with our youth. I have invested in technology that helps us be more efficient and effective in the performance of our jobs. I have invested in my employees to help them develop professionally and personally so that they can concentrate on serving our citizens. We are members of the CNET Drug Task Force, Western Missouri Critical Incident Team, Southwest Missouri Major Case Squad, Missouri Sheriff’s Association, National Sheriff’ Association, Missouri Tactical Officers Association, National Tactical Officers Association to name just a few.

These are only a few things that under my leadership we are achieving daily. God has blessed me with a beautiful family and I am proud to say my wife and I have raised our family right here in Bates County. They too, are following in my footsteps by serving or planning to serve our community in emergency services.

I am not a perfect man, but I have always done my best to put the interest of the Citizens of Bates County first. I have and will continue to be a working Sheriff that is dedicated to bettering this community. My pledge to ALL the Citizens of Bates County. My staff and I will continue to honor and respect God and our Country. My staff and I will continue to serve you regardless of your political affiliation. My staff and I will continue to be guardians of the Constitution of the United States of America and ALL its Amendments. My staff and I will continue to serve you with Honor, Integrity and Dedication.

- Sheriff Anderson

Search news