Friday, July 31, 2026

An Open Letter to the Citizens of Rich Hill and the Surrounding Communities

To the citizens of Rich Hill and the surrounding area,

My name is Dustin Miller. As many of you know, I served as Fire Chief for the City of Rich Hill until the appointment of a new Fire Chief by the City Council on the evening of July 29, 2026.

By now, many of you have likely read or heard various accounts of the events over the past several days that resulted in the appointment of a new Fire Chief. While there has been no shortage of opinions and speculation, I would like the opportunity to share my perspective and explain why these events matter—not just to me, but to the future of our department and the community we serve.

Some of you may wonder why I am going to place such a strong emphasis on experience and leadership within the fire service. The answer is simple: experience matters because lives depend on it.

This is not a theoretical concern for me.

During my career, I have experienced the heartbreaking reality of responding to a line-of-duty death involving a fellow firefighter—a coworker and a friend. That experience forever changed my perspective on leadership, responsibility, and the weight that comes with every decision made on the fireground.

Because of that experience, leadership is deeply personal to me. Every firefighter who responds to an emergency is someone's spouse, parent, son, daughter, brother, or sister. Their families trust that the person leading them has the knowledge, experience, and judgment necessary to bring them home safely. That trust is something I have never taken lightly, and it is why I have always believed that experience and leadership must remain at the forefront when selecting those entrusted to lead a fire department.

Experience is one of the most valuable assets a Fire Chief can possess because lives depend on it. It develops sound judgment, strengthens decision-making under pressure, and transforms training into practical wisdom gained through real-world emergencies. Every incident is different, and there is no substitute for experience when making critical decisions that affect the safety of firefighters and the public.

The position of Fire Chief requires far more than a title. It demands proven leadership, operational expertise, administrative competence, and an unwavering commitment to those entrusted to the department's care. Without experienced leadership, the risks to firefighters and the community increase significantly.

Throughout my time as Fire Chief, I intentionally planned for the department's future so that, when I stepped aside, it would be led by someone fully prepared for the responsibility. I believed that recommending a successor carried an obligation to ensure that individual possessed the experience, judgment, and leadership necessary to protect both our firefighters and our community.

I do understand why many members of the Rich Hill Fire Department are upset. They have every right to feel that way. They raised legitimate safety concerns, and they feel those concerns were not heard or adequately addressed.

Below is my personal account of the events that led to the situation and uncertainty many of you have read about.

But before explaining the direct events that led to my departure as Fire Chief, I believe it is important to provide a brief overview of the background and circumstances that brought us to this point.

I have proudly been associated with the Rich Hill Fire Department for the past 25 years, serving much of that time as Fire Chief. In addition to my volunteer service, I have spent the last 19 years serving as a career Firefighter/Paramedic with a busy Kansas City metropolitan-area fire department.

A few years ago, I moved outside the city limits of Rich Hill. At that time, there was no one interested in assuming the responsibilities of Fire Chief. I did not believe it would have been responsible to simply hand the position to someone without the administrative and operational experience necessary to successfully lead a fire department.

For that reason, I approached the City Council and offered to remain in the position of Fire Chief for one to two years without compensation. The purpose of that agreement was to provide the department with stability while allowing time to identify, mentor, and prepare a qualified successor.

As part of that arrangement, I appointed an Operations Chief to oversee many of the department's day-to-day operational decisions. Because that individual would be significantly more involved in the daily activities of the department, I recommended that the monthly salary associated with the Fire Chief position be paid to the Operations Chief.

Over the past two years, I had 2-3 brief conversations with the mayor regarding potential candidates to eventually assume the role of Fire Chief. Unfortunately, while there were individuals whom I believed possessed the potential to become successful chiefs with continued mentorship and oversight, none expressed an interest in accepting the full responsibilities of the position.

About 10 months ago or so, we recruited an individual with 30 years of experience as a career firefighter and paramedic. I appointed this individual as Training Chief with the intention of strengthening and rebuilding our training program. My long-term plan was to allow sufficient time for the training program to become established before discussing a transition into the Fire Chief position.

During one of my final conversations with the mayor regarding succession planning which took place about two months ago, I identified this individual as a promising future candidate for Fire Chief. However, I also explained that, having only been with the department for a few months, it was my opinion that additional time was needed to successfully establish the training program before taking on the additional responsibilities of leading the entire department.

On Tuesday, July 28, 2026, I received an email from the mayor regarding the future leadership of the department which read:

"A couple of years ago I advised that I was willing to remain the Fire Chief with no pay for a year or two since I no longer lived in town. The Board of Aldermen and I appreciate the excellent service you have given this department and hope that you are willing to continue with the department in some capacity.

I am writing to let you know that the Board of Aldermen and I think it is time for us to have a Fire Chief who lives in town. A member of your department (John Simon) has agreed to take on that responsibility. Would you be willing to work with him for a couple of months to bring him up to date on all the reporting and other responsibilities? We are having a Special Meeting on Wednesday night and would like to make this appointment then. If you have any questions or concerns let me know."

When I read this email, my initial reaction was one of surprise. While the message expressed appreciation for my years of service, I could not help but question why my input was not sought regarding the selection of the individual who would succeed me after leading the department for so many years.

To be clear, I was not upset that the Board wished to appoint a new Fire Chief. I had previously agreed to remain in the position without compensation for only a year or two, and that timeframe had been reached. I understood that every chapter eventually comes to an end, and I remain proud of what our department accomplished during my tenure as Fire Chief.

My concerns centered on the process rather than the decision itself. I questioned why there had been no discussion with me regarding the succession plan, particularly when we had several members with substantial fire service experience, leadership ability, and administrative knowledge. I also struggled to understand why an appointment appeared to have been made without consultation and without the knowledge of the department's membership. It was the manner in which the process unfolded that concerned me most.

Rather than responding emotionally my initial email to the mayor was immediate and a very short response “Sounds good, thanks for letting me know”. I took the remainder of Tuesday and part of Wednesday to carefully consider my professional response and concerns back to the mayor. On Wednesday, July 29, I sent the mayor an email outlining my concerns. My goal was not to oppose the appointment of a new Fire Chief, but to express my concerns about the

succession process and advocate for what I believed was in the best interest of the department and the community we serve.

My response to the mayor was respectful and focused on my concerns. I wanted to ensure my thoughts were clearly communicated before the Special Meeting which took place Wednesday evening, so at approximately noon to 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 29, 2026, I sent the following email:

“Good day, I am writing to follow up regarding the email I received yesterday. First and foremost, I want to state that I am prepared to turn over the Fire Chief position to whomever the Council ultimately appoints. Over the past several years, I have repeatedly expressed my willingness to discuss transitioning the role to another individual. However, I never received any clear indication that anyone had a direct interest in assuming the position.

That said, I also feel it is important to be candid about my concerns. After serving this department for 25 years— most of that time as Fire Chief—I believe the manner in which this process has unfolded has been inappropriate and lacking transparency. It appears that discussions regarding a new appointment have been taking place behind closed doors for several months. From my perspective, it gives the impression that personal agendas may have influenced the process rather than an open and transparent evaluation.

Despite those concerns, I will fully respect and support whatever decision the Council ultimately makes.

I believe John will perform well in certain aspects of the position, particularly on the administrative side. However, I do not believe the overall experience and advanced training that are developed only through many years of service are present to the same extent as they are in other qualified candidates. In my opinion, those qualities are among the most important responsibilities of a Fire Chief because they directly impact operational decision-making and, ultimately, ensuring that everyone goes home safely after every emergency response.

After considerable reflection, I have come to the conclusion that my 25 years of experience with this department and my knowledge of the fire service will not play a meaningful role in the Council's decision. At no point was I asked for my professional assessment or perspective regarding potential candidates or their qualifications. Given that, I believe it is in my best interest to resign my position and step away from this process.

To assist with a smooth transition, the only outstanding issue that I believe requires immediate attention is the repair of the station roof, which both you and Alec are already aware of. I have already provided Alec with all of the information and responsibilities that I handled exclusively so they can be managed until the newly appointed Fire Chief assumes the role. Additionally, I have removed my access to the station door through the access control system. The only City-issued equipment currently in my possession is my portable radio, and I will coordinate with Alec to return it.

I sincerely wish the department continued success in the future. Should any questions arise, I will remain available by phone to assist department personnel as needed. But, I am confident Alec will be able to provide guidance during the transition.

If needed, I am providing the password for this email account so that access can be obtained and the password changed.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve this department and this community over the past 25 years. It has been an honor and a privilege, and I appreciate your time and attention to this matter.

Respectfully, Dustin Miller”

It is important to note that I did not receive a response to my email from the Mayor prior to the Special Meeting. As a result, there was no opportunity for further discussion, clarification, or collaboration regarding the concerns I had raised before the appointment was made.

After sending my email to the mayor, I felt it was equally important to communicate directly with the members of the Rich Hill Fire Department. I have always believed that open and honest communication is one of the most important responsibilities of any leader. For that reason, I sent the following message to our department group text:

“All, I want to express my gratitude to each of you for your service to the department and to the citizens of Rich Hill.

You may be wondering why this message is going out now. The City has indicated interest in having a Chief who resides inside the city limits. Personally, I don't blame them—I initially agreed to serve in my current role for only a couple of years while living outside the city.

Although I may not have always been personally present at the department, I want you to know I remained active behind the scenes. Over the last several years, I've had the opportunity to watch many of you grow—not only as firefighters, but as people. I've also had the privilege of seeing some of you advance into careers as firefighters, EMTs, paramedics, and police officers.

I have truly enjoyed my 25 years of service with the Rich Hill Fire Department. The relationships I've built and the friendships I've made are something I will always cherish.

I want each of you to know that I fully support the appointment of a new Chief. However, I have decided to step down from my position. If you're wondering why, it is because of the process the Council chose to follow during this transition.

With that being said, I genuinely wish the department the very best going forward. I have spent more than half my life as a member of this department, and I remain proud of the work you do and the commitment you bring every day.

I hope each of you continues to grow, improve, and serve the community that depends on you.

Thank you again for everything. It has been an amazing 25 years. And please remember—I am only a phone call or text away if anyone needs anything.”

Following that message, several members of the Rich Hill Fire Department attended the Special Meeting on Wednesday, July 29, 2026, to voice their concerns regarding the future leadership of the department and the process used to appoint a new Fire Chief.

During the meeting, members respectfully expressed concerns about the lack of input from current department officers, the importance of operational and administrative experience, and the need for a structured succession process. Representatives from neighboring fire departments also shared concerns regarding the transition and the importance of maintaining strong, experienced leadership.

After hearing from department members and those in attendance, the City Council entered closed session and later announced plans to interview five candidates interested in serving as Fire Chief. Following those interviews, the Council voted to appoint John Simon, who has three years of service with the Rich Hill Fire Department, as the next Fire Chief.

The concerns raised by department members were not about resisting change, but rather about the qualifications, experience, and process involved in selecting the person responsible for leading the department and protecting both firefighters and the community.

Following the meeting, each member was left to make their own personal decision regarding their future with the department. Unfortunately, several members chose to resign, believing their concerns about experience and safety had not been adequately considered during the process.

In closing this letter, and this chapter of my life, I want to express my sincere gratitude to the past members of the Board of Aldermen for the support they provided throughout the years. While we did not always agree on every issue, I have always appreciated their commitment to the City of Rich Hill and their support of the Rich Hill Fire Department.

I also want to extend my heartfelt thanks to the citizens of Rich Hill and the surrounding communities. Your unwavering support over the past 25 years has meant more than words can adequately express. Whether it was through your encouragement, donations, attendance at fundraisers, or simply placing your trust in us during your time of need, you played a vital role in the success of our department.

Building and maintaining a successful volunteer fire department is never the work of one individual. It requires dedicated firefighters, supportive city leadership, neighboring departments willing to lend a hand, and a community that believes in and stands behind its volunteers. I have been fortunate to experience that support throughout my career, and for that I will always be grateful.

Although my time as Fire Chief has come to an end, my love for the fire service, the members of the Rich Hill Fire Department, and this community will never change. It has been one of the greatest honors of my life to serve as your Fire Chief, and I will forever be proud of what we accomplished together.

Thank you for allowing me the privilege of serving this community for the past 25 years. I leave with countless memories, lifelong friendships, and the satisfaction of knowing I gave this department and this community everything I had.

Respectfully,

Dustin Miller

#MidAmericaLive

Search news