Mary Dubray (D) will face either Jim Wheatley (R) or Chris Gach (R) in the November 3rd general election following the outcome of the August 4th primary election.
Mary DuBray Age: 51
Why are you running for this office?
The people of Bates County deserve elected officials they can trust. It’s painfully clear when you look at recent events that the current presiding commissioner cannot be relied upon to do his job. You can also look at how the commission as a whole dealt with the solar farm situation and see the future of our county was not a priority and neither was letting the public know what was happening.
What are your qualifications?
I have a degree in Management. I have worked in data management for the bulk of my career. I know how to run a global team. I have experience in running a company. I know how to communicate. I have the ability to fill out forms and meet deadlines. I can do research on complex topics that I don’t know anything about so that I can become an expert in that area. I’m extremely good at taking a hard to understand concept and explaining it to regular folks in a way that makes sense. I am able to and willing to communicate even when it’s a controversial topic.
If elected, what are your priorities?
My number one priority is to restore public trust in the commission. I would do this by making regular posts on social media about what is happening with the commission. The public should not be waiting weeks for the county clerk to put out meeting minutes to know what is happening. They should be hearing directly from the commissioners and especially from the presiding commissioner what is happening in real time. I believe that many of the issues we are having currently could have been avoided if there was a line of communication open between the commission and the public in real time. My second priority is to protect Bates County. It has become painfully clear recently that the current commission is not interested in protecting our land and resources and people from outside dangers. It’s imperative that we do everything we can to prevent solar farm expansion. We can also never allow a data center in our county. While I adamantly oppose full zoning, I am aware that there are other zoning restrictions we could put in place that would protect us from future corporations taking over our home.
What is the most important thing voters need to know about you?
I am trustworthy! I will never sell out the people of this county for personal gain. I will never neglect to do my job. I will have full transparency in this position. I will open lines of communication between the commission and the public. While this is a part-time position, I would consider it a full-time job and I would be open for conversations anytime it’s necessary.
Voting information available here https://batescounty.net/elections-information/
#MidAmericaLive
Voting information available here https://batescounty.net/elections-information/
#MidAmericaLive