Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A New Beginning for an Old Place



  • In March of 2013, the PROPERTY that Sam's Hi-way Hamburger sat on was sold on the courthouse steps...Mark and I purchased the "property" from this auction, and my Great Aunt Rosie Anderson, gifted me the building instead of her having to remove it and the "Drive-In" be gone forever. Along with the building she also gave me the equipment, allowing us the chance to continue on the family business that she and my Uncle Sam bought in the 1960's and ran until the late 80's, and my parents re-opened in 1992.Though Mark & I have changed the name (We know it will always be called "Sam's"), to Chicken Larry's Drive-In, to honor my Dad (Chicken Larry) who passed away August 4,2012..

    Mark has put A LOT of hard work & time & effort into the building to make it everything I am wanting it to be. We have thoroughly cleaned and painted the walls and ceilings up front, I have put a lot of hard work cleaning the equipment and getting it all like new. We have endured many many set backs during this process, yes some at times making me want to give up. However with each step backwards, I am getting to see my visions coming to life, and watching an old building come to life again! Not to mention a "Really Cool Looking" 60's style walk up diner!! 

    **On a personal note from me (Valerie) I would like to give out a few personal Thank you's to the following people I would like to give thanks to my husband, Mark Heckadon, for EVERYTHING you have done to make the building what it is and for all of your spare time & hard work you have put into making the building basically brand new. Without you, I wouldn't be writing any of this!
    Thank you to Aunt Rosie Anderson, for gifting me the building and the equipment, without your thoughtful gift, none of this would have been possible.
    Thank you to my mother in law, Joyce Heckadon, for helping us find a way to get the loan to purchase the property, without the property we wouldn't have been able to of saved the Drive-In.
    Last but certainly not least, I would like to Thank all of YOU, The Customers, both old and new.. All of you, throughout the last 50 years have made it possible to keep this as One of the FEW surviving original diners around.
    So with all this said... We (Mark & I) would like to invite each and everyone of you to continue to be our customers as we transition this into a 3rd generation family operation, and those of you that have never tried our food or stopped coming to give us an opportunity to show you all that we too can cook that delicous food you have all enjoyed for so many years!
    Sincerely,
    Valerie & Mark Heckadon
    (Owners of Chicken Larry's Drive-In)

Search news