Monday, June 24, 2024

Hayden Cave heading to Germany as foreign exchange student

Harrisonville High School Sophomore Hayden Cave is heading out on the experience of a lifetime when she heads to Germany for a year as a foreign exchange student in August. 

Hayden is participating in the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) which is a partnership between the U.S. State Department and the German government. She is one of 250 students from across the United States to earn this honor. Hayden has received a full merit-based scholarship covering all transportation, lodging, and all costs associated with the program.

Hayden said, “My mother was an exchange student when she was in high school through the Rotary Club and so I've always wanted to be an exchange student. A few years ago she and I began researching for exchange program scholarships and found CBYX.”

She added, “I chose Germany because ideally when I grow up I'd like to live in Germany, but also it's a very pretty country. When my mother went, she went to Belgium. 

I'm hoping that while I'm over there I can travel Europe as well and experience as much of the different European cultures as well as German cultures.”

Hayden will begin her year with a three-week language and culture camp, and then be sent to stay with her host family where she will participate in school and potentially extracurriculars, and return in June 2025.

Hayden is the daughter of Andrew and Kelly Cave. We can’t wait to hear about her adventure throughout the 2024-25 school year! Congratulations Hayden!

Search news