Monday, July 20, 2026

Bates County Presiding Commissioner race: Jim Wheatley

Incumbent Jim Wheatley (R) will face Chris Gach (R) in the august 4 primary election. The winner will then run against Mary Dubray in the general election November 3rd. The following are responses to questions given to all candidates:

What is your current or past occupation?
Bates County Presiding Commissioner.

Why are you running for this office?
The keep serving the people of Bates County and keep the County moving forward. To make certain the County has the funds to sustain going forward and not have to "cut" any personnel. To continue working to get the three bridges replaced that need to be replaced. To continue to work to provide the services the people in Bates County deserve.

What are your qualifications for this position?  
11 years as current Bates County Presiding Commissioner.
4 years Active-Duty Air Force, Security Police
27 years Air Force Reserve, Fire Protection
19 years as Reserve Fire Chief at Peterson AFB, Richards Gebaur/Whiteman AFB, Scott AFB where I brought fire fighting teams to Combat Readiness status.
I have 40 years of law enforcement experience in Bates County.
I have HAZMAT training to the Senior Response Officer, SRO, and Incident Command, IC, levels.
Emergency First Responder trained, because of this I understand the needs and requirements of all emergency services.
I have an Associate in Arts degree in Business Administration and a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice.

If elected, what are your priorities?
Continue to help provide services the public needs. Work with the elected officials to maintain a sound budget for the county and continue to build reserve funds to build a solid financial foundation to protect the county.

What is the most important thing voters need to know about you? 
I work for them, the people of Bates County, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. "This is not just a Two Day a Week Job".



#MidAmericaLive

Search news