Chris Gach (R) will face incumbent Jim Wheatley (R) in the august 4 primary election. The winner will then run against Mary Dubray (D) in the general election November 3rd. The following are responses to questions given to all candidates:
What is your current or past occupation?
I have recently retired from the Missouri State Highway Patrol after serving for just over 30 years. I was assigned to the Bates County Zone for approximately 25 years. For the last ten years of my assignment in Bates County I served as the Zone Commander. During the last five years of my career I was assigned to Troop A Headquarters in Lee’s Summit as the Property Control Supervisor.
Why are you running for this office?
I truly enjoyed the public service aspect of my career in law enforcement and want to continue serving others in Bates County now that I have retired. I enjoy working with others to achieve goals that benefit all of us and feel like this job gives me the opportunity to do so.
What are your qualifications for this position?
I don’t feel like a list of accomplishments would necessarily qualify someone for this position. I believe what qualifies me to serve as the next Presiding Commissioner of Bates County is that I built a career based on public service, leadership, and accountability. During my career, I displayed the ability to make sound decisions, manage people and resources, problem solve, and work with the general public. I understand the importance of listening to people, working with other elected officials, and making decisions that benefit all of us, not just a select few.
If elected, what are your priorities?
My priorities are to be fiscally responsible with taxpayer dollars, build a working relationship with the Road and Bridge supervisor, and work with other office holders to make county government as efficient as possible. I believe most citizens of our county are affected by four different things: agriculture, small business, churches, and schools. These four things make us who we are as a county. I think it’s important to support and encourage reasonable growth in all four of these areas.
What is the most important thing voters need to know about you?
I want people to know that I’ve spent the majority of my adult life serving the public. I’m not seeking to become the next Presiding Commissioner of Bates County because I have any hidden agendas or personal vendettas against anyone. I take pride in knowing that during the course of my career in law enforcement, I treated people with respect and fairness. I believe I possess the knowledge, skills, and experience to help our county grow while preserving the values that make us who we are.
#MidAmericaLive