Tuesday, July 28, 2026

La Cygne Police Chief tenders resignation


To the La Cygne Community,
Serving as your Chief of Police has been one of the greatest honors of my life.
When I accepted this position two years ago as an inexperienced 29 year-old, I had one goal: to build a police department that this community deserved. A department that was professional, transparent, approachable, and equipped to serve both today and into the future. Together, we worked to modernize our equipment, improve officer safety, strengthen accountability, invest in training, embrace technology, and build relationships with the people we serve.
While there is always more work to do, I am incredibly proud of what has been accomplished. More importantly, I am proud of the outward mindset culture we built, a department that strives to treat every person with respect, uphold the law fairly, and earn the trust of the community each day.
After much thought and consideration, I have submitted my resignation as Chief of Police.
This decision is entirely my own and comes after accepting an opportunity to continue my law enforcement career, continuing to teach and mentor this great profession. While I am excited for the next chapter, leaving La Cygne is not easy. My family has always been my greatest priority, and this opportunity allows me to continue serving the public while also doing what is best for them.
To the Mayor and City Council, thank you for entrusting me with the responsibility of leading this department. Your support allowed us to make meaningful improvements that will benefit this community for years to come.
To City Clerk Jodi Wade, thank you for your professionalism, patience, and friendship. Your knowledge and dedication have made every challenge easier to navigate, and the City is fortunate to have someone who cares as deeply as you do. I never thought I would have an understanding of budgets and taxes!
To Public Works Superintendent and Fire Chief Dan Nasalroad, thank you for being a true friend and teammate. The relationship between our departments has always been built on mutual respect and a shared commitment to serving this community. I am grateful for your support and friendship.
To my officers, thank you for believing in the vision we set out to accomplish. Thank you for your dedication, your willingness to embrace change, and your drive, serving this community with integrity. I have every confidence that you will continue serving La Cygne with honor. It has been a privilege not only to lead you, but to serve beside you.
Finally, to the citizens of La Cygne, thank you for welcoming me into your community. Thank you for the conversations at community events, the constructive criticism that challenged us to improve, and the trust you placed in me and this department. Small-town policing is unlike any other profession because it is built on relationships. Those relationships are what I will miss the most.
I leave knowing that the La Cygne Police Department is stronger than it was when I arrived. That was always my goal, not to build something around one person, but to build something that would continue to serve this community long after my time as Chief had ended.
I have complete confidence that the City will select a leader who will continue moving the department forward, and I look forward to watching its continued success.
Although my badge in La Cygne will soon be turned in, I will always be grateful for the opportunity to have served this community.
Thank you for allowing me to be your Chief. August 6th will be my last day in office.
With sincere gratitude,
Zachary Mathies, Chief of Police


#MidAmericaLive

Search news